The basic function of a building envelope is to keep out the wind and rain. Thermal control is important, too, but controlling moisture has been important since before the invention of insulation. Designers are faced with a wide array of products that can combine protection against both moisture and air. This session will focus on identifying factors for making good decisions.
• What does the Code require for a “weather resistive barrier”?
• When is water vapor control needed in addition?
• Application: mechanically-fastened sheets, liquid membranes, self-adhesive membranes, panels with sealed joints?
• Chemistry for liquid membranes: asphalt, silicone, STPE, STPU, acrylic?
• Resources for information